Tucson Concert Band is a non-profit community band that relies on participation from our community for membership, volunteers, and audiences alike! As a community organization, we strive to set a bar for new musician membership that maximizes participation from our community, while still maintaining quality of performance that our members and audiences have come to expect. We appreciate and welcome new members to TCB through the following process:
- Potential new member expresses interest in joining our group by sending us a message from our Contact page. Please include:
- Full name
- Contact information
- Primary instrument and any secondary instruments played
- Brief summary of musical experience
- Our personnel manager will review and provide the information to the conductor
- The conductor then screens the potential new member for prior performing experience via phone call or e-mail. (ex. someone with no prior musical knowledge, playing experience, or the ability to read music would not be a good potential candidate while someone who reads well and has prior experience performing in a band or orchestra may make an excellent potential candidate, even if some time has lapsed since the person last played with a group).
- Conductor invites potentially successful candidates to “sit in” with the band and play for a rehearsal.
- The personnel manager will inform the band manager, librarian, section leader, and board president so that we can ensure that seating, music, and introductions are set for the potential new player’s arrival
- Potential candidate will be seated next to principal player/section leader.
- Principal players/section leaders will provide feedback to conductor.
- Conductor makes the final call as to the appropriateness for inviting prospective new members to be included on the “sub-list” or, as openings arise, to invite those who have been through the screening process to participate as regular new members of the band.
If you are interested in playing with us, please send us a message from the Contact page and we will get back to you as soon as possible!